Assistant Professor, Department of Art History
On leave Fall 2016
Ph.D., Harvard University, 2013
M.A., Harvard University 2009
B.A., Middlebury College, 2005
- Chinese Buddhist art, particularly of the Tang (618-907) and Song (960-1279) dynasties
- Artistic and religious exchanges among the cultures of medieval East Asia
- Theories of art and ritual
- Translation of Zhang Zong, "Buddhist Arts: A Survey of Sites, Paintings, and Iconography." In Modern Chinese Religion I: Song-Liao-Jin-Yuan (960-1368 AD). Ed. John Lagerwey and Pierre Marsone. 2:844-928. Leiden and Boston: Brill, 2015.
- Review of “Journey through Mountains and Rivers: Chinese Landscapes Ancient and Modern,” Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City, MO, 8 February 2013-28 April 2013. caa.reviews. December 2013. <http://caareviews.org/reviews/2029>
- “Reflections on ‘Reflections of the Buddha’ and ‘Buddhist Art: Objects and Contexts’.” Archives of Asian Art 62 (2012): 81-90.
- Six extended entries on Chinese, Korean, Mongolian, and Tibetan Buddhist artworks from the Harvard Art Museums. Reflections of the Buddha. St. Louis: Pulitzer Foundation for the Arts, 2011. <http://buddha.pulitzerarts.org>
- Various translations in Chinese Contemporary Art: Primary Documents. Edited by Wu Hung and Peggy Wang. New York: Museum of Modern Art, 2010. 8-10, 17-18, 79-82, 94-95, 97, 171-179, 252-254, 254-257, and 347-350.
Honors and Awards
- SSRC/JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship (Short Term) for North American and European Researchers, AY 2013-2014
- ACLS/Mellon Dissertation Completion Fellowship, AY 2012-2013
- Chiang Ching-kuo (CCK) Foundation Dissertation Fellowship, AY 2012-2013
- Doctoral Research Fellowship, Metropolitan Center for Far Eastern Art Studies, AY 2010-2011
- Frederick Sheldon Traveling Fellowship, Harvard University, AY 2009-2010
- Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) grants, Summers 2007 and 2010