Melody Barnett Deusner
Assistant Professor, Department of Art History
Office hours: Wednesdays 11:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. and by appointment
Ph.D., University of Delaware, 2011
- American art and mass culture to 1945
- Nineteenth- and early twentieth-century European art
- Museum history and institutional critique
- Art, patronage, and the business world
- Historical intersections of visual art and networked technologies
- "Wall to Wall: Zones of Artistic Engagement in Late Nineteenth-Century America," in Michelle Facos and Jayne Fargnoli (eds.), A Companion to Nineteenth-Century Art, (Hoboken, NJ: Wiley-Blackwell, forthcoming 2018)
“Constructing the ‘Deadly Parallel’: Paintings, Politics, and the Comparative Eye in Turn-of-the-Century Clubland,” in “30th Anniversary Issue: 30 Invited Authors Celebrate 30 Years,” special issue, American Art 31, no. 2 (Summer 2017), 96–103.
“The Impossible Exedra: Engineering Contemplation and Conviviality in the Gilded Age,” in Housing the New Romans: Architectural Reception and Classical Style in the Modern World, ed. Elizabeth Macaulay-Lewis and Katherine von Stackelberg (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2017), 153–89.
- “Building a Reputation: Henry Gurdon Marquand’s New York Mansion,” in Orchestrating Elegance: Alma-Tadema and the Marquand Music Room, Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute exhibition catalogue, ed. Kathleen M. Morris and Alexis Goodin (New Haven: Yale University Press, 2017), 37–61.
- “Whistler, Aestheticism, and the Networked World,” in Linda Merrill and Lee Glazer (eds.), Palaces of Art: Whistler and the Art Worlds of Aestheticism (Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Scholarly Press, 2013)
- “‘In seen and unseen places’: The Henry G. Marquand House and Collections in England and America,” Art History 3:4 (September 2011)
Honors and Awards
- Fulbright-University of Birmingham (UK) Scholar Award (2016)
- Terra Foundation Postdoctoral Fellow in American Art, Northwestern University (2010–12)
- Douglass Foundation Fellow in American Art, Metropolitan Museum of Art (2009–10)
Kress Foundation Travel Fellowship (2009)
- Henry Luce Foundation/ACLS Dissertation Fellowship in American Art (2008–09)
- Terra Foundation Pre-doctoral Fellowship, Smithsonian American Art Museum (2007–08)