Faye R. Gleisser
Assistant Professor, Department of Art History
Cultural Studies Program
Critical Race and Postcolonial Studies (CRPS)
Office hours: On leave 2019-2020
Ph.D., Northwestern University, 2016
M.A., George Washington University, 2009
B.A., Washington University in St. Louis, 2006
Research Interests and Teaching Areas
- Modern and contemporary art; specialization in American art
- Critical race theory
- Urbanism and art
- National imaginaries of social conflict and myth-making
- Art and theory of the African Diaspora
- Contemporary art historiography
- Archive Theory and Archival Silences
- “Editors’ Introduction: Armed/Unarmed: Guns in American Visual and Material Culture,” eds. Faye Gleisser and Delia Solomons, Themed Issue of journal of visual culture v. 17 no. 3 (December 2018): 263-371.
- “Asco, Chris Burden, and the Politics of the Misfire,” journal of visual culture v. 17 no. 3 (December 2018): 312-331.
- “How Many Licks? II (Conditioned No. 13,763),” Black One Shot series. ASAP/J. June 2018.
- “Leslie Hewitt,” “Martine Syms,” and “Steffani Jemison,” Out of Easy Reach (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2018), 28-29, 36-37, 56-7.
- "The Guerrillas of Cu Chi," "AK-47 vs. M16," "The Dream," and "Fade In: Ext. Storage--Cu Chi, Day..." in The Propeller Group, eds. Naomi Beckwith et al (Chicago: Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago, D.A.P. Art Book, 2016), 30-61.
- "This Isn't Charlie Rose': The Making of On Art and Artists and the Politics of Information Distribution," VDB Resources. Video Data Bank. May 2015.
- "Kate Horsfield: The Early Years of the Video Data Bank." VDB Resources. Video Data Bank. April 2014.
- "McArthur Binion/Kavi Gupta," Artforum International Magazine (Fall 2013): 197.
- "Deconstructing Queer Space: Princess Hijab's Graffiti Art," New Criticals. September 2013.
- "Parafictional Aesthetics in the 'Post-Truth' Moment," Theorizing Visual Studies: Writing Through the Discipline, eds. James Elkins and Kristi McGuire (New York: Routledge Press, 2013), 209-212.
Selected Honors and Awards
- 2017: Georgia O'Keeffe Museum Research Center for American Modernism Post-doctoral Research Fellow
- 2015–2016: Marjorie Susman Curatorial Fellow, Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago
- 2013-2014: American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS)/Henry Luce Foundation Dissertation in American Art Fellowship
- Radical Resourcefulness: Artists and the City (graduate seminar: A647)
- Abstraction, Here and Now (graduate seminar: A647)
- Introduction to Contemporary Art, 1960 to Tomorrow (undergrad: A207)
- Curating the Contemporary: Exhibition History and 21st c. Curatorial Ethics (undergrad: A340)
- Imaging Race: 20th and 21st Century History of Photography and the Boundaries of Visual Representation (undergrad and graduate: A490/580)