Associate Professor, Department of Art History Department Chair, Department of Art History
Ph.D. University of Toronto
- Romanesque illuminated manuscript, especially Giant Bibles and early Cistercian Office manuscripts
- The process and functions of text illustration in monastic culture
- Art, text and sound in medieval pedagogy
Gerardi Cameracensis Acta Synodi Atrebatensis, Vita Autberti, Vita Gaugerici necnon varia scripta ex officina Gerardi exstantia, eds. Steven Vanderputten and Diane J. Reilly, Corpus Christianorum Continuatio Mediaevalis 270 (Turnhout: Brepols, 2014).
- "The Bible as Bellwether: manuscript Bibles in the context of spiritual, liturgical and educational reform, 1000-1200," Form and Function in Late Medieval Bibles, eds. Eyal Poleg and Laura Light, Library of the Written Word - The Manuscript World, ed. Richard Gameson (Leiden: Brill, 2013), 9-29.
- "Cistercian Art," for The Cambridge Companion to the Cistercian Order, ed. Mette Bruun (Cambridge University Press, 2012), 125-139.
- The Practice of the Bible in the Middle Ages: Production, Reception and Performance in Western Christianity, eds. Susan Boynton and Diane Reilly (New York: Columbia University Press, 2011).
- "Reconciliation and record keeping: heresy, civic dissent and the exercise of episcopal authority in eleventh-century Cambrai," with Steven Vanderputten (co-author), Journal of Medieval History 37, no. 4, (2011)
- "Education, Liturgy and Practice in early Cîteaux," in Understanding Monastic Practices of Oral Communication, ed. Steven Vanderputten, Utrecht Studies in Medieval Literacy 21, series editor Marco Mostert (Turnhout: Brepols, 2011), 79-108.
- "Bernard of Clairvaux and Christian Art," in A Companion to Bernard of Clairvaux, Brill's Companions to the Christian Tradition, ed. Brian Patrick McGuire (Leiden: Brill, 2011), 279-304.
- Religion in Literature, Music Art & Performance: Monks, Nuns and Medieval Art (H235)
- Romanesque Art (A423)
- Introduction to Ancient to Medieval Art (A101)
- Illuminated Manuscripts in the Middle Ages: Form, Function, and Audience (A323/A522)
- Problems in Early Romanesque Art: The Normans (623)
- The Gothic Cathedral (A324)
- The Medieval City (A426/A520)
- Problems in Romanesque Art: Romanesque Manuscripts (A623)
- Problems in Early Gothic Art: Women as Artists, Patrons, and Audience in Medieval Art (A624)
- Problems in Early Gothic Art: Art & Architecture of the Cistercians (A624)
- Problems in Romanesque Manuscripts: Bibles, Psalters, the Liturgy and the Saints (A623)
- Storytelling in the Middle Ages: Medieval Narrative Art in Manuscripts, Mural Paintings and Mosaics (A622)
- Romanesque and Gothic Art (A322)