Associate Professor, Department of Art History
Office hours: Tuesdays 1:15-2:15 p.m. and by appointment
Ph.D. University of Toronto
- Romanesque illuminated manuscript, especially Giant Bibles and early Cistercian Office manuscripts
- The process and functions of text illustration in monastic culture
- Art, text and sound in medieval pedagogy
- The Cistercian Reform and the Art of the Book in Twelfth-Century France, Diane J. Reilly (Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press, 2018).
- "Meditation, Translation, the Liturgy, and the Medieval Illustrated Psalter in the West," A Book of Psalms from Eleventh-Century Byzantium, eds. Barbara Crostini Lappin and Glenn Peers, Studi e Testi 504 (Vatican City: Biblioteca Apostolica Vaticana, 2016), pp. 567-606.
- Resounding Images: Medieval Intersections of Art, Music, and Sound, eds. Susan Boynton and Diane J. Reilly (Turnhout: Brepols, 2015).
Gerardi Cameracensis Acta Synodi Atrebatensis, Vita Autberti, Vita Gaugerici necnon varia scripta ex officina Gerardi exstantia, eds. Steven Vanderputten and Diane J. Reilly, Corpus Christianorum Continuatio Mediaevalis 270 (Turnhout: Brepols, 2014).
- "The Bible as Bellwether: manuscript Bibles in the context of spiritual, liturgical and educational reform, 1000-1200," Form and Function in Late Medieval Bibles, eds. Eyal Poleg and Laura Light, Library of the Written Word - The Manuscript World, ed. Richard Gameson (Leiden: Brill, 2013), 9-29.
- "Cistercian Art," for The Cambridge Companion to the Cistercian Order, ed. Mette Bruun (Cambridge University Press, 2012), 125-139.
- Religion in Literature, Music Art & Performance: Monks, Nuns and Medieval Art (H235)
- Romanesque Art (A423)
- Introduction to Ancient to Medieval Art (A101)
- Illuminated Manuscripts in the Middle Ages: Form, Function, and Audience (A323/A522)
- Problems in Early Romanesque Art: The Normans (623)
- The Gothic Cathedral (A324)
- The Medieval City (A426/A520)
- Problems in Romanesque Art: Romanesque Manuscripts (A623)
- Problems in Early Gothic Art: Women as Artists, Patrons, and Audience in Medieval Art (A624)
- Problems in Early Gothic Art: Art & Architecture of the Cistercians (A624)
- Problems in Romanesque Manuscripts: Bibles, Psalters, the Liturgy and the Saints (A623)
- Storytelling in the Middle Ages: Medieval Narrative Art in Manuscripts, Mural Paintings and Mosaics (A622)
- Romanesque and Gothic Art (A322)